PAC 2 Error
Errors involving alternative text can include:
- Alternative text missing for Figure structure element; and
- Alternative description missing for an annotation;
Other errors involving alternative text require human inspection.
PDF/UA > Logical Structure > Alternative Descriptions
Matterhorn Protocol Checkpoint 13: Graphics
- The Actual Text attribute is used for text rendered in a way that a screen reader can not interpret – such as a graphic or a character that does not map to Unicode. Actual Text is short, frequently just one character, and can be used inline, for example as part of a paragraph or even part of a word. Examples include a drop cap or a non-standard list bullet.
- The Alt Text attribute is a description of a figure that conveys information. It can be detailed, and as long as necessary to convey the same meaning as the figure.
- Expansion Text is used to define an acronym or jargon term on first use.
- The Matterhorn Protocol requires an alternate description in the Contents Key of every Link tag. For links to web pages, a good practice is to set the value of the Contents Key to the title attribute of the target page. The value type is always String.
Video version of this tutorial: